As part of his “basics recipes” Aaron says this one turns a humble, seasonal ingredient into a delicious side dish to serve with roast chicken or pan-fried fish
- 100g butter
- 1 small onion
- 500g orange kumara, peeled & diced
- 20g honey
- 500ml chicken stock or water
- Sea salt & white pepper
- Melt butter in a large heavy based saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and gently cook for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the kumara and continue to cook over a medium to low heat until very soft and slightly caramelised.
- Add the honey and chicken stock, bring to simmer until the kumara is very soft and the liquid has reduced by half.
- Place the kumara into a liquidizer and puree until smooth. Season to taste with sea salt and white pepper.
- Pass through a fine sieve and refrigerate until needed.
- Gently warm through in a bain-marie to serve