Each week Solander Gourmet Seafood send out an email newsletter with specials for the week and a recipe created by manager of wholesale and retail sales, chef Aaron McCorkindale. I haven’t asked him for permission to share this recipe but because he sent it out to their mailing list, I figure he would be happy for me to share it with you.
You can register for their regular newsletters by going to their website www.gourmetseafood.co.nz
Solander’s say this recipe is a twist on the family classic and is a quick and easy meal to feed the family
Smoked Tuna Lasagne
4 tablespoons flour
200g grated Tasty cheese
½ cauliflower, chopped into small florets
500g Smoked Tuna (or substitute with canned Tuna)
1 bunch chives, chopped
400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
300g Lasagne sheets
1 bunch of fresh spinach
Salt, pepper and olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Roast the cauliflower instead of boiling. It can cook while the oven warms up and you make the sauce. Just drizzle a little oil over, season and roast for about 15 minutes or until starting to brown. Remove from the oven.
- Heat the milk in the microwave until warm.
- Melt the butter in a pot. Add the flour to the butter. Stir and slowly add the hot milk till smooth. Turn down the heat and add the cheese. Remove from the heat when the cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the cauliflower, smoked tuna, half of the chives and 4 tablespoons of cheese sauce. Put half across the bottom of a small oven proof dish.
- Add a layer of lasagne with half the tomatoes. Add the rest of the tuna mix. Add more lasagne and pour over rest of tomatoes.
- Add the remaining cheese sauce on top and bake for 35 minutes or the lasagne is cooked and the top is browned.
- Cook the spinach and serve with a generous amount of lasagne sprinkled with chives.